Legal and Urgent Supports

Do you need help obtaining emergency housing, shelter and other resources and services? Contact Vermont 211, a 24-hour hotline for help, by simply dialing 2-1-1.

If you have been threatened with eviction, contact Vermont Legal Aid at 1-800-889-2047 or Legal Services Vermont on their website. Please contact one of these agencies if you are having legal or benefits issues as a result of COVID-19. A full list of COVID-19 Legal Benefits and Updates can be found on their Coronavirus Updates page here.

If you are homeless, facing eviction, or falling behind on your rent, CVOEO (Champlain Valley of Economic Opportunity) has a Community Action Housing Assistance Program. This agency provides support regarding information, referrals, and possible financial assistance. 

For more information on CVOEO, or to set up an appointment, please call:

  • Chittenden County: (802) 863-6248 ext. 4
  • Addison County: (802) 388-2285
  • Franklin and Grand Isle Counties: (802) 527-7392

Do you have general questions regarding your rights as a tenant?

Call the CVOEO Free Statewide Tenant Hotline at (802) 864-0099.

This service provides free information, and referral services directly to tenants by phone and face-to-face tenant counseling. They also offer workshops on residential rental housing laws, codes and code enforcement.

General Housing Supports

General questions regarding fees, neighbor problems, rent increases, repairs, using small claims court & more can be found here, or by calling the CVOEO Free Statewide Tenant Hotline at (802) 864-0099. Provided below are direct links to the four housing support documents they provide on their their Vermont Tenants page here. All authorship, support, and partnerships that went into making these resources can be found on that page. Illustrated Guide to Vermont Renter’s Rights The Definitive Guide to Renting in Vermont VT Tenant & Landlord Statutes VT Rental Housing Health Code

The Rent Right Program offered through CVOEO is an educational program that directly addresses homelessness by targeting the causes.  To be eligible, participants must be either currently homeless, have a history of chronic homelessness, be precariously housed, or be first-time renters.

The curriculum covers credit repair and building; spending management skills; setting financial goals; communicating with and understanding the landlord’s perspective; legal responsibilities and avoiding eviction; and much more.  Those who successfully complete the course earn a “Preferred Renter” card, giving them a significant edge in a tight housing market.

Contact Number: (802) 660-3455 ext. 205

Utility Supports

Crisis Fuel from Department for Children and Families: You may call 1-800-479-6151 toll-free — on weekends and holidays as well — to apply for emergency heating assistance. You can only do this starting the last Saturday in November until the first Sunday in April. It is best to do this as early as possible, as funds do run out.

The Vermont Public Utility Commission ordered a temporary moratorium on involuntary natural gas, electric and telecommunications service disconnections. This means that if you are not able to make your payments for natural gas, electricity or land-line telephones, you will not be shut off. However, charges will still accrue during this time. You will have to make up the payments at a later date.

Vermont Electric Coop has also suspended service for disconnections from 3/16 through the end of April. This means that if you are not able to make your payments for natural gas, electricity or land-line telephones, you will not be shut off. However, charges will still accrue during this time. Regular billing will continue for all members. 

Internet Access Support

Comcast, VTel, Charter Communications, and other providers are offering discounted rates to households with K-12 and/or college students who don’t already have internet through the company. Click here to view the list for discounted Internet service options.

Discount internet options for remote learning can be found on this document here.

The Vermont Public Service Department provides a map of public WIFI access which can be found here. These spots are accessible at all hours from a parked vehicle in public parking lots.

General Support

A full list of community resources and help agencies, including information on unemployment benefits can be found here.